(Scroll down for video) Dozens of prison inmates were rushed to the hospital after being poisoned, according to prison officials in Pennsylvania.
On Wednesday night, the inmates in a female housing unit within the York County Prison had symptoms consistent with exposure to carbon monoxide.
Forty-nine prisoners were sent to various hospitals for treatment. The prisoners who remained in the affected dwelling unit and the nearby prison units were relocated to other prison units around the state, according to officials.
Emergency crews checked all housing units within the prison for carbon monoxide. They also worked on the ventilation of the affected areas and returned the affected areas to safe levels.
Officials believe that the carbon monoxide source is associated with heating, ventilation and air conditioning system. After the system was disconnected carbon monoxide levels in the area went back down to normal levels.
At 9:00 am on Thursday, five inmates still remained in various hospitals for treatment. All other prisoners have returned to the facility. The property affected by the exposure to carbon monoxide remains vacant pending further investigations.
Mobile video not loading? Click here to view