New York Police officers just didn’t care that volunteer emergency first responders were responding to an emergency call, they gave them tickets anyway.
Two Hatzolah emergency services members, who responded to a call of a man in diabetic shock in Woodridge Village Hall on Wednesday night, were fined by the police chief for the use of red lights reserved for emergency vehicles as they approached the scene.
State law allows the use of red lights when emergency personnel are responding to an emergency.
Police Chief John Calvello could not be reached for comment on Thursday.
Since then, the general director of Hatzolah, Rabbi David Cohen, said he has been informed by an official of the police that the tickets will be dismissed, “but that's not enough,” he said.
"We need a statement from the village saying it was a mistake and that it will not happen again," he said. "We're not here for revenge, we are looking for validation that what we are doing is right and we are helping people vacationing in the area every day, on an hourly basis," he also said.
Cohen said earlier this week that Hatzolah saved a boy, who nearly drowned in a pool at a summer camp nearby.
Mayor Luis Saperstein could not be reached for comment.