(Scroll down for video) Outrage has grown rapidly across the U.S. as police were seen on video gunning down a homeless man in a hail of bullets.
Stunning new footage of six police officers shooting at a Michigan man in an intense, five second burst of 46 shots, was made public on Friday, triggering a fierce reaction from members of a community, who are still grappling with the incident.
"I am surprised that six human beings would stand in front of a man and fire 46 shots," said the mother of the victim, Jewel Hall.
Milton Hall, 49, was gunned down three days before the Fourth of July. He had been brandishing a knife in front of a Chinese restaurant in the city of Saginaw, while arguing with the police.
"I will not put s**t down," he told the officers seen on the video. He also expressed some fear about a police dog present at the time.
"Let him go. Allow the motherf***ing dog to go," he said in the moments before his death.
Police soon aligned, and shot Hall.
Saginaw County Prosecutor Michael Thomas said that he was "threatening to assault police", and Gerald Cliff, the chief of police, said Hall "was known to be an aggressive person."
Although the authorities have launched an investigation into the incident, friends and family of Hall remain frustrated by its slow pace.
"It seemed like a firing squad dressed in police uniforms," said Jewel. "There were other options available. They did not have to kill him. He had done nothing. He was not violent. He was not a murderer. He was not a criminal," she said.
The mother also said her son was mentally ill.
Saginaw Councilman Norman Braddock said the investigation has to be a priority.
"I can see why people are traumatized after looking at the video," Braddock said. "We need answers," he also said.