Monster Energy Drinks being investigated after several deaths

Monster Energy Drinks illustration 
By: Shifra Unger 

(Scroll down for video) After several deaths, an investigation was opened against Monster Energy Drinks, according to reports.

The Food and Drug Administration said on Monday, that it was investigating reports of five deaths that may be associated with drinking Monster Beverage Corp namesake energy drinks, sending the company's stock down more than 14 percent for the day.

Monster is also being sued by a family of a 14-year-old girl from Maryland, who suffered from a heart condition and died after drinking two cans of Monster energy drink in a 24 hour period.

“Monster does not think that their drinks are in any way responsible for the death of the girl,” the company said in a statement.

The energy drink market is dominated by Austrian company Monster, and Red Bull. It also includes drinks from Coca-Cola and PepsiCo.

The lawsuit and the reports of other deaths that may be associated with energy drinks illustrate the problems surrounding the highly caffeinated drinks especially among young people. They could also embolden critics of the industry, including two senators and the governor of New York.

"I do not think they are going to ban energy drinks," Morningstar analyst Thomas Mullarkey said. "The question is whether or not it gives them more firepower to more regulations. That could mean that more extensive labeling requirements or age restrictions,” Mullarkey said.

“The negative headlines also make a takeover of Monster less attractive. This reduces the likelihood that Coca-Cola wants to buy Monster," Mullarkey added.

Sources revealed that the two companies have discussed a possible deal as recently as last year.