|The four children|
(Scroll down for video) A mother along with her four children were burned to death in their home in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, according to fire officials.
A neighborhood in northwest Oklahoma City, awoke to the nightmare.
The fire destroyed the family home early Wednesday morning, killing the mother and her four children.
All children were between the ages of 3 and 8.
The fire was caused by a space heater placed too close to flammable materials, according to firefighters. The house had not been receiving gas service this year. Instead, the family had been using multiple space heaters throughout the house to stay warm. The house had no smoke detectors.
Jeanine Bonnet, 28, has been identified as the mother who died in the flames. Her children were Natalie Leon, 8, Samantha Leon, 7, Zackary Matthew Leon, 5 and Kara Leon, 3.
The children's grandmother, Frankie Leon, said her grandchildren had been active toddlers.
"Natalie was 8 years old. She was tenacious," Frankie said. "Sammy was 7 years old. She was shy. Matty was 5 years old, and he was your typical average boy. Kyra was 3 years old, she liked riding quads with her dad. They loved to get muddy. I enjoyed doing crafts with them. They liked to do everything," she said.
Bonnet’s boyfriend, 39-year-old Brian Poletto, survived the flames, but is in critical condition at a local hospital. He has severe burns on his hands and legs.