Chicken helps family escape from huge house fire (video)

Chicken illustration 
By: Sanvi Rizvi 

(Scroll down for video) Usually, we hear about a pet cat or dog helping their owners escape from trouble, but this time it is the pet chicken that gets the credit, according to press reports in Wisconsin.

A couple said that they did not hear the fire trucks when a fire broke out in their home.

Dennis Murawska, 59, said a pet chicken named Cluck Cluck woke up his wife Susan Cotey, 52, with raucous cackling inside his cage in the basement of the home two floors down around 6:15 a.m. on Thursday. The couple also has two cats that were running around the main floor of the house.

Murawska said that he had been half awake, but did not know about the fire because the smoke detectors had not gone off. He realized something was wrong when his wife got up. "The chicken gets quite vocal when it gets excited," he said.

Cluck Cluck came from a nearby farm in Alma Center, about 135 miles east of Minneapolis, Murawska said. When the chicken began to wander into his home, his neighbor said he could kill it because it was not producing any eggs. Murawska felt sorry for it because he had a mutated foot and decided to keep it. He fed the bird and built a chicken coop. His wife kept Cluck Cluck in the basement on cold nights.

"I spent a lot more money than I ever should have," Murawska said. "I think it was worth it," he added.
The couple escaped and firefighters found the chicken in the cage and one of the cats alive in the
basement.

Another cat has not been found and is presumed dead, Murawska said. The couple and their surviving cat checked into a hotel in Black River Falls, while Cluck Cluck is back with the neighbor who used to have it.

Alma Center Fire Chief Jeff Gaede said that the fire started in the attic of the attached garage and was not suspicious. The house was a total loss, but it could have been worse if not for the chicken.

"We are used to hearing about a dog, a cat or something, but never heard of a chicken awakening a resident to a fire," Gaede said. "That's pretty amazing," he added.