Woman loses legs and fingers after being bitten by dog (video)

Robin Sullins 
By: Tanya Malhotra 

(Scroll down for video) A dog lover was left without legs and fingers after she was bitten by a dog.

Robin Sullins of Texas, is a wonderful mother of four, who also loves dogs.

According to reports, Sullins was trying to stop a fight between her dog and a visiting family member’s dog at her home.

Sullins was bitten by one of the dogs, resulting in what appeared to be only minor cuts. A few days after she was bitten, Sullins became sick and she was taken to Brackenridge University Medical Center. Her condition deteriorated quickly.

Doctors discovered that she had an allergic reaction to a bacteria found in the mouths of healthy dogs, which is not usually dangerous.

Sullins was taken to the intensive care unit at a hospital. The infection became so severe that doctors were forced to amputate both of her legs below the knees and all of her fingers except the thumbs in order to save her life.

"What happened here is clear. The bacteria has entered her bloodstream," Dr. William Schaffner, who is an infectious disease specialist, said.

"Once inside the bloodstream it created a serious infection that had an effect on all regulatory and inflammatory mechanisms of her body," he added.

Her family was devastated by the incident. They have set up website, robinsullins.com, to help raise money to cover her medical expenses. The website also provides updates on her progress.

Her daughter had another goal in building the website, to bring awareness about dog bite treatments.